HOW TO CLEAN YOUR SHOES

There’s something special about a fresh pair of shoes right out of the box. From that new shoe smell to the unblemished look—we all love a brand new pair. Of course the more you wear your favorite pair, you have to understand that a little dirt or grime will show up over time.  Or if you’re unlucky, you’ll accidentally step in mud—or something worse!  And if we’re talking about kids—all bets are off when it comes to keeping anything they wear pristine.

Fortunately, we have some tips to help keep your Skechers in the best shape possible. With proper care you can extend the life and look of your favorite pair.

A FEW NOTES BEFORE WE BEGIN…
Never machine wash light-up shoes—or any shoes that include any form of electronics. The batteries and wires don’t like being fully submerged in water!  For regular non-leather sneakers, first try to hand wash the shoes with cold water using a damp cloth with a mild detergent.

NYLON / MESH SHOES
Most non-leather casual shoes can be safely machine washed—if needed—on the gentle cycle and air-dried. Apply a protectant such as Skechers Water Proofer Spray to guard the shoes from water and stains. For shoes with Skechers Memory Foam™ insoles, allow shoes and insoles to air dry for 10 to 12 hours to ensure the insoles are fully dry.

PERFORMANCE SHOES
Machine washing Skechers GOwalk and Skechers GOrun shoes is not recommended. Start by removing excess dirt from the upper and outsole by using a small brush or towel. Then create a soapy mixture by combining warm water and a small amount (a few drops) laundry detergent. Finally, dip the brush or cloth into the soapy mixture. Wipe down the affected area. Apply a small amount of clean, warm water with the brush or cloth and brush/wipe off the excess soap. Allow the shoes to air dry.

LEATHER SHOES
Apply a protectant such as Skechers Water Proofer Spray to guard the shoes from water and stains before wearing in wet conditions. Use a leather cleaning lotion or spray such as Skechers Athletic Cleanser to clean. Apply a leather lotion or oil periodically to keep the leather supple. Do not machine wash leather shoes.

For smooth leather, the shoes will need cleaning and care with shoe creams or polishes. Select a neutral shade or a color nearest to the color of the shoes. Remove all the dust with a damp cloth. Never polish wet shoes.

For scuff resistant leather, remove minor scuffs by simply rubbing them with your hand. The natural oil in your hand restores the original look of the leather. For deeper scrapes and scuffs, use a soft and neutral polish. This process moisturizes and replenishes the natural oil in the leather leaving a shiny coating that will prolong and sustain the wear of the leather.

SUEDE OR NUBUCK SHOES
Apply a protectant such as Skechers Water Proofer Spray to guard the shoes from water and stains before wearing in wet conditions. Do not machine wash suede or nubuck shoes. When shoes are dry, brush with a dry rubber sponge or soft brush to eliminate any clinging dirt. Regular use of a soft brush will keep the nap of the suede free from dust. Stubborn stains should be removed with commercial stain remover suitable for the suede or nubuck material.

LIGHT-UP SHOES
Machine washing light-up shoes is not advised as it may damage the lights. Clean with mild soap, warm water, and a soft cloth.

DRYING WET SHOES
Never put wet shoes in a clothes dryer or near a heat source—this includes anything that would force dry your shoes like a radiator, tumble dryer, fireplace, hairdryer or any other source of direct heat. The heat source may melt or otherwise damage your shoes. Always allow shoes to dry naturally at room temperature. Stuff the shoes with paper and let them air dry. Use a shoetree to help your shoes maintain their shape when not in use.

ELIMINATING ODOR
Apply a deodorizing product such as Skechers Odor Eliminator Spray to keep shoes fresh and odor-free. This spray is specifically formulated to deodorize and freshen Skechers footwear and you can find it on SKECHERS.com here.

Another effective solution to this issue is Baking Soda or Activated Charcoal (which can be found at most pet stores that sell fish tank/aquarium items). Simply put the powder of your choice in a bag, set your shoes on top of the powder, tie up the bag and let the shoes sit in the bag for 2 to 3 days.

20 Comments

• alisaskx says:

Hi Dianne, Canvas shoes are best cleaned by using the same steps as 1 and 2 on this blog. Either “safely machine washed—if needed—on the gentle cycle and air-dried”, OR “removing excess dirt from the upper and outsole by using a small brush or towel. Then create a soapy mixture by combining warm water and a small amount (a few drops) laundry detergent. Finally, dip the brush or cloth into the soapy mixture. Wipe down the affected area. Apply a small amount of clean, warm water with the brush or cloth and brush/wipe off the excess soap. Allow the shoes to air dry.” Hope that helps, have a great week!

1. elie says:

how to clean go ga mat insole in go walk shoes? can I just take the insole away then throw it to washing machine/brush it using used tooth brush? but the insole seems to be glued to the shoes

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Eve! Your GoWalks can be put in the washing machine on a gentle cycle and air-dried. This should help clean the entire shoe, including the insole! Hope this helps 🙂

2. Hi I have 5 or 6 pairs of the Stretch Fit with air Cooled Memory Foam. All have only been worn a handful of times. I put them in the washer and now they’re yellow around the edges. Basically I can’t wear them anymore. I went back to the Sketcher retailer near me and they gave me the athletic cleaner which I just read is for something else. So what can I do so I don’t waste all the money that I spent on these shoes? I really hope you can help and almost seems hopeless. Thanks Karen

3. Karen Cristóbal says:

Hi I have 5-6 pairs of the stretch fit air-cooled memory foam All In White mesh. I tried washing them and after they dried they were yellow. I went to the Skechers retail store near me and they sold me cleaner but it was for leather or sport shoes. I bought OxiClean but people are saying that the OxiClean won’t take the yellow out it makes them more yellow. All of them were bought in the past year and now I feel hopeless what can I do??? Thanks in advance

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Karen, we are sorry to hear about your pairs! If the cleaner for sports shoes is fairly gentle you should be able to use it on your Stretch Fit shoes. 🙂

4. Jose Orlando Marrero says:

How do I get the Odor eliminator to spray? I squeeze the trigger and nothing happens. Does it come locked?

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Jose!There is a little button on the side that says “on”. Push that in to spray and then push it from the other side, where it says “off” to lock it again. Hope this helps!

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Sue, We recommend avoiding machine washing if possible and washing with soap and a dishtowel in the sink. If machine washing is needed it can be done on a light cycle and then air dried 🙂

5. Cindy Payne says:

How do I clean my women’s goga mat boat shoes. The insoles are dirty!
    They are SN: 13780 Color: BKW
    Thank you!
    Cindy Payne

6. Beverly says:

How do I wash white/silver Galaxies iridescence (2289/WSL)? I’m afraid rubbing it will “pick up” the silver thread running through these mesh shoes. And I sure don’t want them turning yellow as I saw in another comment.
    Thank you!

7. Jerry P says:

hi my name is Pete, How can I clean my relaxedfit memory form SN 64114 color coded SCH leather upper balance man made material

• SKECHERS says:

Hi there Jerry 🙂 Please refer to the “Leather” section of the blog. Unfortunately that style is no longer available online so I cannot view what it looks like but if the majority of the shoe is not leather then I would recommend hand washing lightly and then air drying. If majority of the shoe is Leather I would refer to the blog 🙂

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Rajedeepsinh! Majority of our shoes unless they are suede or leather can be hand washed with a washcloth and soap and then air dryed or put into the washing machine on a gentle cycle and then air dried 🙂 please refer to the blog on what type of material works best with what cleaning method! Hope you have a great weekend!

Leave your comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s