HOW TO CLEAN YOUR SHOES

There’s something special about a fresh pair of shoes right out of the box. From that new shoe smell to the unblemished look—we all love a brand new pair. Of course the more you wear your favorite pair, you have to understand that a little dirt or grime will show up over time.  Or if you’re unlucky, you’ll accidentally step in mud—or something worse!  And if we’re talking about kids—all bets are off when it comes to keeping anything they wear pristine.

Fortunately, we have some tips to help keep your Skechers in the best shape possible. With proper care you can extend the life and look of your favorite pair.

A FEW NOTES BEFORE WE BEGIN…
Never machine wash light-up shoes—or any shoes that include any form of electronics. The batteries and wires don’t like being fully submerged in water!  For regular non-leather sneakers, first try to hand wash the shoes with cold water using a damp cloth with a mild detergent.

NYLON / MESH SHOES
Most non-leather casual shoes can be safely machine washed—if needed—on the gentle cycle and air-dried. Apply a protectant such as Skechers Water Proofer Spray to guard the shoes from water and stains. For shoes with Skechers Memory Foam™ insoles, allow shoes and insoles to air dry for 10 to 12 hours to ensure the insoles are fully dry.

PERFORMANCE SHOES
Machine washing Skechers GOwalk and Skechers GOrun shoes is not recommended. Start by removing excess dirt from the upper and outsole by using a small brush or towel. Then create a soapy mixture by combining warm water and a small amount (a few drops) laundry detergent. Finally, dip the brush or cloth into the soapy mixture. Wipe down the affected area. Apply a small amount of clean, warm water with the brush or cloth and brush/wipe off the excess soap. Allow the shoes to air dry.

LEATHER SHOES
Apply a protectant such as Skechers Water Proofer Spray to guard the shoes from water and stains before wearing in wet conditions. Use a leather cleaning lotion or spray such as Skechers Athletic Cleanser to clean. Apply a leather lotion or oil periodically to keep the leather supple. Do not machine wash leather shoes.

For smooth leather, the shoes will need cleaning and care with shoe creams or polishes. Select a neutral shade or a color nearest to the color of the shoes. Remove all the dust with a damp cloth. Never polish wet shoes.

For scuff resistant leather, remove minor scuffs by simply rubbing them with your hand. The natural oil in your hand restores the original look of the leather. For deeper scrapes and scuffs, use a soft and neutral polish. This process moisturizes and replenishes the natural oil in the leather leaving a shiny coating that will prolong and sustain the wear of the leather.

SUEDE OR NUBUCK SHOES
Apply a protectant such as Skechers Water Proofer Spray to guard the shoes from water and stains before wearing in wet conditions. Do not machine wash suede or nubuck shoes. When shoes are dry, brush with a dry rubber sponge or soft brush to eliminate any clinging dirt. Regular use of a soft brush will keep the nap of the suede free from dust. Stubborn stains should be removed with commercial stain remover suitable for the suede or nubuck material.

LIGHT-UP SHOES
Machine washing light-up shoes is not advised as it may damage the lights. Clean with mild soap, warm water, and a soft cloth.

DRYING WET SHOES
Never put wet shoes in a clothes dryer or near a heat source—this includes anything that would force dry your shoes like a radiator, tumble dryer, fireplace, hairdryer or any other source of direct heat. The heat source may melt or otherwise damage your shoes. Always allow shoes to dry naturally at room temperature. Stuff the shoes with paper and let them air dry. Use a shoetree to help your shoes maintain their shape when not in use.

ELIMINATING ODOR
Apply a deodorizing product such as Skechers Odor Eliminator Spray to keep shoes fresh and odor-free. This spray is specifically formulated to deodorize and freshen Skechers footwear and you can find it on SKECHERS.com here.

Another effective solution to this issue is Baking Soda or Activated Charcoal (which can be found at most pet stores that sell fish tank/aquarium items). Simply put the powder of your choice in a bag, set your shoes on top of the powder, tie up the bag and let the shoes sit in the bag for 2 to 3 days.

62 Comments

• alisaskx says:

Hi Dianne, Canvas shoes are best cleaned by using the same steps as 1 and 2 on this blog. Either “safely machine washed—if needed—on the gentle cycle and air-dried”, OR “removing excess dirt from the upper and outsole by using a small brush or towel. Then create a soapy mixture by combining warm water and a small amount (a few drops) laundry detergent. Finally, dip the brush or cloth into the soapy mixture. Wipe down the affected area. Apply a small amount of clean, warm water with the brush or cloth and brush/wipe off the excess soap. Allow the shoes to air dry.” Hope that helps, have a great week!

1. elie says:

how to clean go ga mat insole in go walk shoes? can I just take the insole away then throw it to washing machine/brush it using used tooth brush? but the insole seems to be glued to the shoes

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Eve! Your GoWalks can be put in the washing machine on a gentle cycle and air-dried. This should help clean the entire shoe, including the insole! Hope this helps 🙂

2. Hi I have 5 or 6 pairs of the Stretch Fit with air Cooled Memory Foam. All have only been worn a handful of times. I put them in the washer and now they’re yellow around the edges. Basically I can’t wear them anymore. I went back to the Sketcher retailer near me and they gave me the athletic cleaner which I just read is for something else. So what can I do so I don’t waste all the money that I spent on these shoes? I really hope you can help and almost seems hopeless. Thanks Karen

3. Karen Cristóbal says:

Hi I have 5-6 pairs of the stretch fit air-cooled memory foam All In White mesh. I tried washing them and after they dried they were yellow. I went to the Skechers retail store near me and they sold me cleaner but it was for leather or sport shoes. I bought OxiClean but people are saying that the OxiClean won’t take the yellow out it makes them more yellow. All of them were bought in the past year and now I feel hopeless what can I do??? Thanks in advance

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Karen, we are sorry to hear about your pairs! If the cleaner for sports shoes is fairly gentle you should be able to use it on your Stretch Fit shoes. 🙂

4. Jose Orlando Marrero says:

How do I get the Odor eliminator to spray? I squeeze the trigger and nothing happens. Does it come locked?

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Jose!There is a little button on the side that says “on”. Push that in to spray and then push it from the other side, where it says “off” to lock it again. Hope this helps!

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Sue, We recommend avoiding machine washing if possible and washing with soap and a dishtowel in the sink. If machine washing is needed it can be done on a light cycle and then air dried 🙂

5. Cindy Payne says:

How do I clean my women’s goga mat boat shoes. The insoles are dirty!
    They are SN: 13780 Color: BKW
    Thank you!
    Cindy Payne

6. Beverly says:

How do I wash white/silver Galaxies iridescence (2289/WSL)? I’m afraid rubbing it will “pick up” the silver thread running through these mesh shoes. And I sure don’t want them turning yellow as I saw in another comment.
    Thank you!

7. Jerry P says:

hi my name is Pete, How can I clean my relaxedfit memory form SN 64114 color coded SCH leather upper balance man made material

• SKECHERS says:

Hi there Jerry 🙂 Please refer to the “Leather” section of the blog. Unfortunately that style is no longer available online so I cannot view what it looks like but if the majority of the shoe is not leather then I would recommend hand washing lightly and then air drying. If majority of the shoe is Leather I would refer to the blog 🙂

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Rajedeepsinh! Majority of our shoes unless they are suede or leather can be hand washed with a washcloth and soap and then air dryed or put into the washing machine on a gentle cycle and then air dried 🙂 please refer to the blog on what type of material works best with what cleaning method! Hope you have a great weekend!

8. Traci says:

Your blog says machine washing GOWalk is not recommended, but in the comments section you tell someone they can be machine washed. Which is it? I have a pair that I absolutely love, but they really need to be cleaned.

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Traci, we don’t recommend machine washing them. For the best results, we recommend using a small brush to clean surface spots and then creating a soapy mixture of warm water and a few drops of laundry detergent, which you can use with a brush or cloth to thoroughly clean the shoes!

9. Vero says:

Hi there !
    I have a pair of Go Walk 2 that i’d like to wash. I see I can put them in the washing machine , wich is so satisfying , but do i put them in alone or with something else ?

• SKECHERS says:

Hi there! Thanks for reaching out, when it comes to the GO Walk shoes, we don’t recommend putting them in the washing machine. We do recommend using a small brush to clean excess dirt and using a soapy mixture of warm water with a bit of laundry detergent 🙂

10. Rhonda says:

My daughters both have Skechers light up shoes. They were playing near our pond and now both their shoes smell of pond water. How can I wash the smell out?

• SKECHERS says:

Hi there! While these can be machined washed on the delicate cycle and air dried, we recommend trying to hand wash them first. Which you can do with cold water, using a damp cloth with mild detergent 🙂

11. Trisha Wisebaker says:

I have Sketchers Sport shoes that I wore twice to the Ren fest. They were black and are no longer black (because a lot of dirt). Can they be stuck in the washer?

12. Pauline mills says:

Hi .. I have had my Gostep lite for 6 weeks and they smell horrid !!!!!! I don’t usually suffer with smelly feet , but this is extreme, I’ve heard lots more complaining they develop an horrendous smell. I own other 6 other types of sketchers, and they don’t smell. How can I get rid of the smell .

13. Yqeu says:

What is the order of caring for Sketchers leather shoes? E.g. clean, condition with leather lotion/oil, polish, then waterproof protect?

• SKECHERS says:

We advise using a leather cleaning spray or lotion to clean the leather uppers, and the non-leather parts of the shoe can be cleaned with mild soap, warm water, and a soft cloth.

14. Jane says:

I got olive oil on my Go Walks while cooking. I’ve tried to clean them several times using warm water and detergent but I’m not able to remove the spots. Any recommendations?

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Sean, there is a Waterproof category under Technologies on Skechers.com – any shoes listed in that Technology category are fully seam-sealed waterproof. This includes shoes such as the GOtrail 2 running shoe, several GO GOLF shoes, all of the shoes and boots in the Segment collection, the Marauder – Mushogee, and many other boots and work boots.

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Alvin, we advise using a leather cleaning spray or lotion to clean the leather uppers, and the non-leather parts of the shoe can be cleaned with mild soap, warm water, and a soft cloth. Happy holidays 🙂

15. Hi there! I love my Skechers Goga Max shoes. They’re the most comfortable pair of shoes I’ve ever had. But after a few months, it began to smell like a dead and rotting rat. I’ve tried washing it with a variety of soap and water concoctions several times. I’ve even bought those shoe freshening stuff. None of them works. I’m going to try the charcoal and baking soda mix next, but I was wondering if you’ve ever had complaints about this and whether you’ve found a solution. I found this thread where people have had the same problem since 2009 up to just a few days ago! It’s about to be 2018. I hope you guys find a permanent fix for this. Please do check the thread. I hope their feedback helps you improve your products because we would hate to throw them out. http://bastienkoert.net/wordpress/sketchers-super-smelly-shoes/

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Keisha, have you tried running it through the washing machine on the delicate cycle? Put them in a laundry bag and air dry only. When air drying please allow 10 to 12 hours for insoles to fully dry.

16. Michele Snead says:

How about a pair of “YOU” walk. They are a canvas type (gray and white speckles), but have the soft mat on the inside? They are extremely dirty!

17. Hannah says:

Hi,
    I have just got some Womens Inspire You in light grey and managed to get muddy water on the top of the shoes. What is the best way to clean them please?

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Wendy, leather shoes can not be machine washed unfortunately, however you can remove the Memory Foam insoles and wash them on the gentle cycle. Just make sure to air dry only and allow 10 to 12 hours for wear. Use a leather cleaning spray to clean the uppers of your shoes and the non-leather parts can be cleaned with mild soap, warm water, and a soft cloth.

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Marcia 🙂 Most non-leather casual shoes can be safely machine washed on the gentle cycle and air dried. For leather shoes we advise using a leather cleaning spray or lotion. The non leather parts of the shoe can be cleaned with mild soap, warm water, and a soft cloth.

18. Lisa Roach says:

In reference to the go walk shoes with the Goya mat insoles,None of the references I have seen for washing with mild detergent and air drying or washing on delicate in a washing machine, are working. An eight dollar tiny bottle of spray seems a bit much to me. There has got to be a way to clean the shoes insoles That actually works. Either that, or you just need to start selling new insoles. I have health issues these are the best shoes I’ve ever had for my feet. But the smell is unbearable. I am really looking for some better suggestions and hope that you will be able to help me. I love my shoes! Thank you

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Lisa, we’re sorry to hear that you’re having so much trouble getting the smell out of your insoles. Our shoes fit any standard insoles you can find at your local merchants, such as sporting goods or retail stores that carry shoe accessories. It might be time to replace them 🙂

Leave your comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w