Shoe Cleaning and Care Tips from the SKECHERS Shoe Guy

Show your shoes some love by taking good care of them, and they’ll last longer and look better! Here are three easy steps to ensure your shoes will be protected, clean, and long-lasting.

Protect your shoes – I always recommend that you protect a new pair of shoes before wearing them, especially if you’re planning on wearing them in wet weather.  For leather and suede shoes, there are many very good brands of protective “rain and stain” treatments specific to those materials.  For non-leather and fabric shoes, there are fabric-specific spray treatments that offer excellent protection against water and staining.  Suede, especially, needs to be treated so that water will not discolor it.

Clean your shoes – I never recommend machine washing shoes.  Sure, it might get them clean, but the spin cycle and the dryer can damage the shoe and shorten its life.  Instead, there are lots of great products designed to clean and reinvigorate shoes.  Leather and suede shoes and boots get a leather or suede cleaning treatment, and fabric or non leather shoes can be cleaned with mild soap, warm water, and a soft cloth.

Treat your shoes – Sometimes people complain that their shoes wear out quickly, but most of the time you can keep your shoes healthy by giving them a treatment every so often. For leather shoes, I suggest using a leather lotion or mink oil to keep the leather supple. Suede shoes also should be treated and brushed to ensure the finish is always looking its best. It’s always a good idea to rotate wearing your shoes so that you aren’t wearing the same pair every day, week in and week out, as that also shortens the life.

Give your shoes a home – Not surprisingly, one of the best places to keep your shoes is their box. Keeping your shoes in their box is a good way to keep them clean and safe between wearings. If you’re going to store your shoes for a while (like keeping your warm boots for the summer) it’s a good idea to put the shaping forms back into them to keep them looking their best.

Written By Timothy Lakin, SKECHERS USA

12 Comments

1. newsru.com says:

I’ve been surfing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any interesting
    article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me.

In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Michael, most non-leather casual shoes can be safely machine washed on the gentle cycle and air-dried. Do not place shoes in dryer. Air dry shoes for 10 to 12 hours to ensure the insoles are fully dry.

2. Judy A Maloney says:

My skechers have a white sole (memory foam?). They pick up road ‘dirt’ quickly and recently our church day care laid a black parking lot. Now my skechers are black on the bottom. Please help me get them clean again.

• SKECHERS says:

Hi Judy, Most non-leather casual shoes can be safely machine washed on the gentle cycle and air-dried. Do not place shoes in dryer. For shoes with Skechers Memory Foam™ insoles, allow shoes and insoles to air dry for 10 to 12 hours to ensure the insoles are fully dry. You can also try mixing a little baking soda with warm water and rubbing the bottom of the soles with a rag to remove dirt. Hope that helps!

3. Jalu Sakti says:

I am glad you gave some alternatives to putting boots in the washing machine. I will admit that I have tried that in the past, and I’m sure my boots didn’t last as long as they should have. One thing that I found really helpful for my boots was polishing them daily (for leather boots). The wax in the polish really helped keep my boots in good condition.

4. louiselmz says:

you could try using magic eraser, I use it for everything and it works great. I have even used it on my oven tray you know how sometimes they get stains cooked onto they well yep sure enough magic eraser done the trick. other wise there is a product called instant sneaker cleaner by Waproo that works a treat on that type of soul and no scrubbing involved. I dont know where you are from though i know that i purchased it from Harris Scarf

Leave your comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s