Five Easy Exercises to “Shape Up” for the New Year!
February 5, 2011 Leave a comment
It’s 2011 and time for a new you! You’ve most likely heard the saying, “If you want to lose weight, you need to eat less and move more!” Shape-ups can give you the extra edge to move more and make your workoout more effective! Here are five easy effective exercises for you to “Shape-Up” with.
1. Think it, say it, do it – The first exercise is for your mind. Instead of starting your day with “I have to” or “I should” – start your day with “I can” – “I will” – or “I get to”. Put your Shape-ups on and get busy!
2. Rocking out – This exercise is very simple to perform. Standing up straight, roll gently back to your heels, hold three seconds, then slowly roll forward to your toes, and hold for three seconds. To help center the mind, breathe in while you rock back, and exhale while you rock forward, allowing the breath to take up the three seconds. Repeat five to ten times. This exercise increases blood flow, tones up your calves, and stimulates your core muscles.
3. Squat-rock-n-roll – Standing with the feet shoulder-width apart, squat down as if you were about to sit in a chair. Hold the squat while rocking onto your left heel and your right toe. Alternate rocking back and forth ten times. Stand back up as you raise both arms over your head, taking a deep breath. Drop back down to the squat and repeat. Try to do five-ten cycles.
4. Take a walk around the block – This is a great exercise to squeeze into a busy work schedule. Change into your Shape-ups and take off! Just ten to fifteen minutes will burn calories, stimulate your mind, and renew your energy level. You will come back to your desk ready to tackle anything!
5. Balancing act – Standing on one leg, move your other legs and arms around slowly. The round surface of the bottom of the shoe will cause you to wobble, toning up all of your core muscles, as well as training your body to balance. Time yourself on each side and see how long you can hold.
Remember, the more you move, the more calories you burn. Since your calorie burn is cumulative, every five minutes wearing Shape-ups counts!
Certified Personal Trainer